Process at a glance
1. Decide on your proposed RAD amount
Decide on your proposed RAD amount or equivalent daily amount. When you apply for approval, you will need to include information to support the proposed amount.
You may wish to consider things like:
- your business considerations or strategy which support the proposed RAD
- cost or value, such as the cost of building or refurbishing
- whether the history of RADs residents have paid shows demand for your type of accommodation
- unique design or location features
- analysis of your competitors
- median house price changes in the local area
2. Check you can apply
Before applying, make sure you understand:
3. What you need to provide
You will need to provide the following information in your application.
- approved provider name and ID
- details of the person we can contact if we need more information
- details of the person we should send our decision letter to
- details of your facility — name, service ID, address, number of rooms, if it is new or existing
Room and accommodation details
- accommodation group details — proposed price, number of rooms, description of group, common features, an explanation of how the groups differ from each other, RAD history
- details of each room (such as location within the home, room size, ensuite size, features, and last approved RAD amount)
- photos of each accommodation group, common areas, and any special features
- details of your common areas — area name, level, size, features, exclusive use, internal or external
- floor plan
- site plan
Accommodation groups are a number of rooms or parts of rooms that:
- have very similar size, quality, condition, comfort and features
- you are seeking to apply the same proposed RAD amount to
For example, an aged care home may offer 3 types of accommodation at different prices — standard, deluxe and luxury.
- explanation of why you are seeking to charge your proposed RAD amount
- your home’s occupancy rate (12-month average)
- your home’s supported resident ratio (12-month average)
- land and building value summary including land and construction costs, fit out, furnishing and equipment costs
- evidence of values and costs
- details of any rooms offered on an extra service basis
- details of any additional service fees you charge
- any other related information
4. Complete the application form
- includes a room details spreadsheet that you will need to complete
- asks for supporting documents as part of your application such as photos and floor plans
The information you provide is confidential. It is protected information under the Aged Care Act 1997. We will not use or disclose it for any other reason except to assess your application.
5. Submit your application
To submit your application:
- email the completed application form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- list all the supporting documents in your email
You will receive an auto-reply when we have received your email. If you do not receive an auto-reply, please call us on 1300 550 970.
If you prefer, you can post the completed form and supporting documents as a hard copy to:
Office of the Aged Care Pricing Commissioner
Locked Bag 5
Haymarket NSW 1240
6. We process your application
We will send you a letter within 60 days of receiving your application.
If you have an urgent business or operational need for approval, please call us to discuss on 1300 550 970. We may be able to prioritise your application depending on the number and priority of other applications in our queue.
Before we make a decision, we may ask you to provide more information through a formal request. You will have up to 28 days to provide this. The 60 days does not include the time we wait for this information.
We will also let you know if we do not think your RAD amount will be approved. You can revise your application with more evidence or a lower RAD amount.
If you want to check the status of your application or need to update the information in your application, please contact us.
7. Receive final decision
We will send you either:
- a decision letter with final approval
- a conditional approval letter asking for more information — when you have met all conditions, we will send you a final approval letter called ‘Satisfaction of Conditions’
- a decision letter stating your application is not approved
If we do not approve your application, you can:
- apply again after 4 months
- appeal the decision — see the decision letter for how to do this
Charge the approved amount
If you have received approval, you must publish the new price before you start charging it to new residents.
The approval is for the maximum price. You can charge this amount or any amount up to the maximum price.
When your approval expires
Approvals are valid for 4 years from the date of the approval letter. Find out what your options are before the expiry of your RAD approval.
If you have any questions, please contact us.